17 October 2011

Anna's Achievement

Well I’ve had a crap week with my attempts at high scores, so I thought I’d share a story about my girlfriend Anna’s exploits instead.

Anna doesn’t play many games but after we visited the legendary Funspot arcade last year she became a big fan of Universal’s Cosmic Alien. Ever since, she’s been gradually working on improving her score on this game (which incidentally I absolutely suck at!) and had achieved a personal best of just over 12,700.

This past weekend she unfortunately had an accident and broke her wrist. Once she was back home and recovering I joked that her gaming career was effectively over since she now had only one usable hand (her left) and games like Cosmic Alien require two. Never one to shy away from a challenge, she decided to try playing the game by using her left thumb and forefinger to move the ship and her little finger to fire…


Imagine our surprise when after just a couple of attempts she not only mastered this new style of playing but completely smashed her existing high score, improving by nearly 5,000 points!



So congratulations to her for making the best of a bad situation, but can you imagine how ashamed I feel? I now cannot get close to a score set by a girl with one arm…

No comments:

Post a Comment